War & Peace


I had the thoughts to create this post back on 9/11, but considering the emotional temperature of that date, I decided to hold my tongue for a few days... There's a reason for that - what I have to say is probably going to anger and/or upset a number of people, I'm sure... And it's going to confuse others, who won't understand my line of reasoning here... But as it's my blog, I'm going to say it anyway, and give everyone a chance to argue the point with me if they like...

Let's start from the very top - the top of this entry, that is... See that tag up there...? The Ernest Hemingway quote...? "Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." Wow... Strong words, no...? And easily taken out of context if you allow them to be... So I'm going to explain what that quote means to *me*: It doesn't mean the justified warriors and defenders are criminals - it means it's a crime that anyone should have to slaughter their fellow human beings... That the essence of war itself is a crime against goodness, peace, and life... War destroys both parties - not just the aggressors, but those that resist them, because it subverts the good nature of those defenders and forces them into committing atrocious acts for the sake of their people's safety and continued survival...

But war is a crime without a solution... War is ignited by hatred always, and hatred is only ever countered by love... And you can't sit back to love and forgive those who make war on you - they will care not, and destroy you... But by meeting violence with more violence, one's enemies destroy you anyway, in a more lasting fashion, even if you win... So what is one to do...? It's all very well to say all these many wars are an evil in the world (they are), or that peace bought with rivers of blood is a travesty (it is) - what do you *do*...?

Peace is not in the emotional nature of the human animal... No matter how much we crave it, long for it, strive to cement it, there is always within mankind that "fear of the other"... And George Lucas had it right: "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." And since one cannot destroy fear, avoidance of war seems impossible...

You can't destroy fear... But you can counter it, hold it at bay, if you choose... A commitment to peace may seem a flimsy and easily crushed thing, but it could be stronger than fear if one committed in one's soul to it... All one has to do is *believe* in the cause of peace strongly enough... Suicide terrorists do the inverse of this, actually... They overcome their fear of dying by being committed to their jihad... And what a shame they waste their will and fortitude in that, when they could use that strength to forge a legacy of life, peace, and prosperity - instead of a legacy of death, war, and despair... And what sadness that they turn Allah from a God who loves peace and life ("Assalamu alaikum" - "Peace be upon you"), into a God of hate, war, and death...

In truth, there are no "jihad", no "holy wars"... There is *nothing* sanctified in murdering people by the thousands... The weeping of widows and orphans is *not* a heavenly hymn... There is nothing beautiful and holy in the sight of bodies blown to pieces or blood on the floor... The scenes of tortures and murders stink of corruption because it *is* corrupt... And it corrupts the souls of those who participate in such things - willingly or not...

What would the world be like if we would set aside all the little things that make us different, and instead focus on a lasting peace...? If people would channel that zeal that causes wars to linger on endlessly into a zeal to keep one's temper with our neighbours and find ways to live in harmony...? You don't have to agree with your neighbours or do as they do to live next door to them... What would the world be like if I could do my thing, and you could do yours, and we could respect each other even if we don't agree...? I can imagine such a world - but it takes everyone working together to give an imagined dream true birth...
2 Responses
  1. Chris Says:

    This was a very thoughtful post. You touched on some very sticky issues. I think it is always easier to point the finger at the other person to justify your actions, whether it be one on one or country vs country. You have looked at both sides. Nice job.

    Chris
    My Blog


  2. Angelia Rian Says:

    Heather - I know... I've seen enough wars to last me an eternity... You'd think most everyone else would be as sick of it as we are...

    Chris - I try to be as fair and balanced as I can be with all things... Sometimes I think my biases make me fall far short of the mark, but I think I succeeded here... And I've seen war from inside and outside enough to have a crystal view of all it's facets - none of which are pretty... I see it for what it is, stripped of rhetoric and painted-on glory...